Monday, March 29, 2010

My Sito

Last week was my Grandmothers birthday.  She is no longer with us but I decided to celebrate her day anyways because she has had such a great impact on me and my various life styles.  Growing up, I only saw one or two sides of my Sito (the arabic way of saying grandma).  She was a fun loving, beautiful person who was always laughing, and making me smile with great joy.  However she had many difficulties.  I am not sure at what age she was diagnosed with diabetes but since I could remember she was always digging through her medicine bag, pulling out a tiny bottle of clear fluids and syringe and having to stick herself with a needle at least twice a day.  I remember watching with great intensity as she went through the process of filling the syringe with the fluid, tapping her skin, and pricking.  My grandmother was a classic blonde haired blue eyed beauty in her younger years, but lost all control of her weight after giving birth to her four children, my dad, two uncles and wonderful Aunt, her one daughter.  In our eyes, her hair was grey, her eyes faded, and her body inable to run and play, but in our hearts she was also the most lovable, kind, loud, funny, and playful grandmother.  She had a heart of Gold!  I know that deep down, she must have been an awful lot like me in her younger years, with a mind constantly on a wild adventourous journey, a naive and kind temperment, and dreams that rose high above everyone elses.  I wish I knew her millions of tales, and I wish more than anything to go back in time and ask her for her story.  You know, the one everyone has, that one story that sums up your life in a dramatic, at times tragic, and completely beautiful way, detailing the highlights and skimming the simple, mundane and everyday.  Anyways, as I celebrated my Sito last week I made a vow to honor her with my life.  I want to do great things that she dreamed of.  So I am on a journey, delving into the depths of my mind, soul, and heart to discover what dreams I will bring to life for the beautiful woman who set my world into motion long before I ever existed!

No comments: